Teaching Staff: There are three members of the teaching staff
- Mrs A.Casey (Head of Department)
- Technician: Mrs Dowery
Home Economics in The High School, web Ballynahinch is designed to develop the knowledge, case understanding, price skills and competences which will help pupils to improve their quality of life. This is achieved by educating pupils about the importance of home and family in the development of individuals and society. In the H.E. Department we strive to provide a learning environment in which pupils are encouraged to think critically, make reasoned choices and manage change in matters related to home and family.
Aims of the Home Economics Department:
Education at Key Stages 3 and 4 should foster the intellectual, social, emotional, physical, moral, cultural and spiritual development of pupils by:
- Encouraging a growing independence;
- Guiding pupils to express their own individual needs, identifying targets which meet these needs, and assisting them to make informed choices and decisions;
- Promoting the development of personal and inter-personal skills, so enabling them to participate as contributing members of groups;
- Enhancing self-esteem and encouraging the growth of pupils’ own sets of values;
- Continuing to develop study skills by providing opportunities for exploration, investigation, problem solving and decision making;
- Enhancing the creativity of the pupils by stimulating curiosity and imagination;
- Developing increased versatility and confidence in communication across a range of media and for a variety of purposes;
- Providing rich and varied contexts for the development of thinking and reasoning skill associated with observing, recording, interpreting, inferring and predicting.